The latest from Ward 16.
Worried that you may have missed an important date or reminder? Check this page often. Need-to-know information, including upcoming Ward 16 events, will be posted here each week. Last updated January 15.
Many of you have voiced concerns about delayed trash pickup, a problem that has affected nearly every neighborhood in the City. Here are the latest updates:
- The Board of Aldermen hosted a special hearing on Tuesday to discuss the issue with residents and City officials.
- Only 50 of the City’s 80 trash trucks are currently operable.
- On any given day, approximately half of the City’s trucks are out-of-service and require repairs.
- The City has purchased 16 new trash trucks, with another 15 slated for purchase between now and December.
- The recent $3 increase to each resident’s trash fee is being used to purchase new trucks, but was budgeted to finance the purchase of 76 trucks over a 10-year period.
- The City recognizes that overflowing trash bins are more than an inconvenience, and can pose health and safety risks. That’s why various departments are meeting daily to keep the arrival of new trucks on schedule, retool the schedules of drivers, and respond to neighborhood concerns.
As a member of the City’s Capital Committee, I also intend to advocate for the expedited purchase of up to 15 additional trash trucks to meet current needs. Those trucks are currently budged for acquisition in 2020 – 2021, but need to be obtained as soon as possible.
Never Miss a Beat.
Know what is better than clicking through archives each week? Getting neighborhood news delivered directly to your Inbox. Click below to start receiving emails from Alderman Tom Oldenburg.
Click the button below to keep us informed of Ward 16 events and announcements. If your suggestion meets our requirements, we may be able to include it in an upcoming newsletter or website update.